- Annual profits from human trafficking exceed $61.7 billion US dollars (2011)
- 161 countries serve as a source, transit or destination countries (2006)
A TRAFFICKERS PROFILE
- 52% of traffickers recruiting victims are men
- 42% are women
- 6% are young adults (both genders)
- In 54% of cases recruiter was a stranger to victim
SUMMARY OF ILLICIT MARKETS & VALUES
- Drugs $320 billion
- Humans $31.6 billion
- Human organs $614 mm to $1.2 billion
- Wildlife $7.8- $10 billion
- Small arms & light weapons $300mm- $1.2 billion
- Counterfeiting pharmaceuticals $35-$40 billion
Source: Jeremy Haken: Transnational Crime in The Developing World Report February 2011
CITIES WITH HIGHEST CONCENTRATION OF TRAFFICKED VICTIMS IN THE UNITED STATES
- New York
- Washington D.C.
FLOW OF HUMAN TRAFFICKING
- Most trafficking victims originate in developing countries.
- A large percentage of victims are destined for the developed world.
- According to the 2006 UNDOC Report principal destinations include: United States, Canada, European Union, Japan, and Australia.
Source: Patrick Belser, Transnational Crime in The Developing World Report February 2011